CANactions School for Urban Studies invites students and young Ukrainian professionals in Architecture, Urban Planning, Cultural Studies, Sociology, Urban Studies and other related fields to take part in the International Summer School ‘Mapping Visaginas: Sources of Urbanity in Former Mono-functional Towns’ which is organized by the European Humanities University’s Laboratory of Critical Urbanism (Belarus / Lithuania).
The Summer School is aimed to bring together students from Germany, Belarus, Lithuania, and beyond in a two-week course on mapping social practice in relation to the built environment of the Lithuanian formerly mono-functional town of Visaginas – a satellite of the nuclear power plant erected in 1975. The school will be composed of a mix of lectures, seminars, excursions and supervised fieldwork, during the course of which the students will be guided in the process of how to research the social and spatial relations of contemporary Central and Eastern Europe. The product of the students’ work at the school will be to create an exploratory mapping project of a selected dimension of Visaginas and to contribute to the collective development of a scenario for the town’s future.
We look forward to receiving your application with a motivation letter (less than one A4 of text), CV/resume, and a sample of work – which could include a portfolio with your student or professional projects, writing samples, and/or other examples which could be relevant to the workshop's topic. All are to be submitted in one single PDF-file, smaller than 5 MB.
Please, send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org until July 14, 2017.
● Format: 2-week international and interdisciplinary Summer School
● Organization: Laboratory of Critical Urbanism (LCU) , European Humanities University (EHU) (Belarus / Lithuania)
● Dates: August 14-27, 2017
● Place: Vilnius and Visaginas / Lithuania
● Working language: English
● Participants' profile: students of all levels and recently graduated (max. 2 years) young professionals in Architecture, Urban Planning, Cultural Studies, Sociology, Urban Studies, Design, and other related fields.
● Number of Ukrainian participants: Up to 4 selected applicants.
● Tuition fee for Ukrainian participants: 300 Euro (including accommodation and 2 meals per day).
● CANactions covers travel costs for 4 participants from Ukraine.
● Deadline for applications: July 14, 2017
● Contacts: Anastasia Zhuravel / CANactions School -